Spotlight on Athens
Today marks 364 days to the World Company Sport Games. This time next year we will be welcoming athletes from across the world for the biggest event celebrating company sport to take place in the Olympic city of Athens.
Aside from the renowned sport facilities that will host the Games, Athens is a vibrant city offering ample opportunities for athletes to enjoy themselves and unwind following a day full of sports.
Know before you go
This week is dedicated to Athens and our team has put together a useful and luring guide to help you start plan your visit and ensure you do not miss out on any of the great happenings!
Athens by day and night
- A must-see in Athens is the Parthenon at the Acropolis but go early to avoid the long queues and the heat later in the day.
- Check out the flea market and grab some food on-the-go at Monastiraki.
- Explore the charming streets of Plaka and enjoy an old-fashioned Greek coffee or a cold Freddo.
- Watch the changing of the guards in front of the Parliament (happens every hour).
- If a lazy morning or evening at the seaside is what you are looking for, head to Glyfada or Varkiza, both of which are only a short ride or a 45-minute tram ride from the city centre.
- Watch the sunset with a 360° view of Athens from Lycabettus Hill, the highest point of Athens.
- To experience the Greek night life and music, Gazi is where you need to be.
What’s on in June every year
- Athens and Epidaurus Festival
This festival combines music, theatre, dance and visual arts with Greek and international performers in breath-taking venues such as the ancient theatres of the Odeon Herodes Atticus and the ancient theatre of Epidaurus.
- Athens Open Air Film Festival
Running now for its 9th year, in this festival you will see screenings of some of the greatest movies in film history in spaces around the city that transform to outdoor cinemas.
- Release Athens
Every year, this music festival features top artists and bands like Iggy Pop, the “godfather of Punk” and the rock band New Order making an appearance this year.
Wine and dine
- In the streets of Psiri, you will find authentic Greek cuisine.
- If you want to enjoy some fish while sipping your ouzo, head to the Athenian Riviera.
- Don’t miss out a tour of Athens’ Central Market (Varvakios Agora) where you can not only eat at its restaurants, but also buy some spices, herbs or olives to bring back home!
*If you want to learn how to make Greek dishes at home, you can take a hands-on cooking lesson and enjoy a home-cooked meal.
This is Athens 2019
Our favourite spot for this week
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre (www.snfcc.org)
Guide to getting there
Affordable, reliable and tourist friendly, transport in the city makes it easy to move from one end of Athens to the other in no time!